Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Happiest Race on Earth




Just signed up for the Tinkerbell Half-Marathon at Disneyland in January! What better way to put myself through hardcore training and kicking my own ass than getting to run through the happiest place on earth?

Me, my younger cousin, and
my dad last November
I’ve always been very active, I played basketball through high school and did IM sports through college, and now and workout about 5 times a week. But the half-marathon is definitely something I’ve never put myself through, but I thought I'd be up for the challenge and a new goal!

I’ve never even run a 5K before, and right now after about 4-5 miles of run/walks I feel like I’m going to keel over and die, so it’s definitely going to take a LOT of training. 18 weeks to be exact. Oye

Although the tough stuff doesn’t start until September, it’s time to start getting my butt into shape now. There’s a lot more to training than just keepingup with the cardio -- it’s an all around lifestyle change. The food, the routines, muscle toning, sleep cycles, etc.

Here’s what I’m going to do for the rest of the summer to prep myself physically and mentally just to get ready for training so it doesn’t all hit me hard at once (and let’s be honest, it’s a great way to stay in tip top bikini shape!)

FOOD & DRINK
- Avoiding all white carbs (potatoes, breads, pastas etc.)
- No carbs at all after 7:00 pm, no food after 9:00 pm
- Lean protein and vegetables throughout the day
- No desserts…(unless it’s the occasional Yogurtland because I just can’t live without it)
- Only boozing once a week – the true test of willpower!!

EXERCISE
- 3-5 mile runs, twice a week
- 30-minute sprint inte
rvals, once a week (or swimming)
- Weight training, twice a week

I think that’s enough for now…I’ll keep you posted about how I’m surviving the PRE-training. Wish me luck!

And just in case you were wondering, yes I will be wearing Tinkerbell wings during the half-marathon. Maybe not so much during training though..that may be frowned upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.