Friday, July 22, 2011

The Real End of Childhood



Graduating college a year ago is probably the biggest milestone in my life so. I left childhood behind – no more summer vacations, no more back-to-school supplies, and most importantly, no more Tuesday Pint Nights that resulted at Buck-Fitty’s burritos and falling into bushes on the way home.


Of course graduation is exciting because, hell yeah, no more school! But most people also have the sentiment that college and life as we know it is OVER..except for me. Not that I’m completely cold hearted, and you’ll see why.


The week leading up to graduation, we had senior testimonials in my sorority. Younger girls say goodbye to the seniors and read poems and tell stories about their memories with a girl that they admired. When mine was read…not a tear (although it was very very nice – shout out to Jen!)


The night beforegraduation, my friend H thought it’d be funny to watch everyone shed waterfalls of tears when she told the DJ at Maloney’s (our always go-to bar) to play Vitamin C’s “Graduation (Friends Forever).” You looked around and almost everyone had a mug in one hand and their hand wiping their beat red, sweaty drunken face with the other… but not me.


The actual graduation ceremony came where the classic Pomp & Circumstance played and everyone, students and parents, realize that THIS was the moment…except me.


I had gone through every step of the end of my childhood with not a single tear or a riddance of what I was leaving behind.


Until…


HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HOLLOWS: PART 2.


I cried for 20 FREAKING MINUTES at the end of the movie. I had read the book and knew exactly what was going to happen. I kept telling myself to stop and couldn’t help but question what was going on with me. Yeah, it was a great movie and of course an amazing book series, but why NOW?!


Not only that, but get this: a few days after I saw the premiere, I read an article about it in The Hollywood Reporter. AND I STARTED CRYING... AGAIN...AT WORK!


Well, I guess that goes to show that the end of Harry Potter was the actual end of my childhood. Not graduating college, getting a full time job, or paying for my own rent. Harry Potter.


So, thank you J.K. Rowling, for providing me with the real milestone in my life. Forget the 16 years of school and growing up with my real family and friends to give me inner perspective to my life -- wizards and the death of Voldemort was all it took.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.